Friday, March 18, 2016

Keeping distracted...

The ten day stretch prior to lambing always passes so slowly. Since Ella's breeding was marked on the calendar, I am completely aware that lambs will be here sooner than mid-April. In prior years it's been anyone's guess as to when the little ones would arrive, but occasionally we are fortunate to have a narrower range for anticipating their arrivals.

In the next ten days I plan on keeping busy. There are still some fleeces left to skirt, a tractor to get out of the mud, a trip to the spinners, and a quick get-away for Easter. Lambs should be here before I know it!

This week's analysis:

Jeanne is still looking slender and has no sign of an udder. I'm still not counting her out, but it will definitely be late April before lambs, if she took.






Lucy is really hard to photograph from the back. She's a bit flighty, which I hope will change has she gets closer to lambing. She has clearly developed an udder this week, but I suspect she'll be another month and will twin.





Shelly is still very small - in every way. Her sides seem to be getting wider, but I think I'll have to wait a few weeks to tell for sure. I can't imagine she'd have any more than one, but time will tell.












Mary (center moorit) also looks like she's got a ways to go. Very small udder and barely rounded sides, but I have no doubts she's bred. Either she'll single in a couple of weeks or twin at the end of the cycle.




That's Myra to Mary's left. She's got a nice udder started, but last year her udder was there weeks before twinning. I'm not sure on timing, but I'm still thinking she'll twin.




Ella, Cali and Madeleine. These three girls are BIG. And with only very small udders. Ella is due in ten days, and I'd be surprised if the other two didn't lamb within a week of her due date. Madeleine has reliably had triplets the last three years, so that's what I'm counting on. The other two twinned last year, but also come from mothers who triplet. Either they'll have big twins or bring on the triplets!
Ella
Cali
Madeleine
Cali and Ella show off their barrels.
Myra, Madeleine and Cali.

No comments:

Post a Comment