Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Pigs!

On Easter we brought home our five piggies for the freezer. If you look closely you can see one trying to squeeze out from under the black spotted pig. We have two gilts and three barrows in the bunch. These pigs are a Tamworth-Hereford crossed with one other breed, but I can't remember if it was a Yorkshire or Hampshire that made up the other quarter.

We started them in the barn for three days, and on the fourth day we let them into their wooded lot. They are fantastic rooters, and they seem much more vigorous than last year's piglets. They really are fascinated with Gus and the sheep and goats. Some of the lambs even got to sniff noses through the fence with these little piggies before they moved out to the big field. Sometimes you can even catch a sheep's tail wag during a pig kiss - how strange!

The turkeys should arrive by Friday. I'll try posting pictures of the variety poults and update the lamb photos this weekend. Hopefully I'll have a chance to plant more of the garden by then, too.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That's awesome! If you don't mind me asking how much do piglets cost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year piglets are averaging $95 a piece. If you take a quick look at Craigslist, piglets being sold in Vermont range from $75 to $125.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh very cute. I've never raised pigs I don't have the space to put them but they are sweet. I think I'd worry that they would become pets instead of food here too. How many turkeys are you getting?

    ReplyDelete