Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Yarn!

After two years of storing wool, we finally decided to get our bags of wool spun into yarn. Two weeks ago I drove over to Richmond, Vermont where I dropped off fleece from seven sheep sheared in 2010. Today I got an email from the spinnery titled "7 Shades of Shetland", and that's exactly what we got! Without realizing it, I had neglected to skirt the black and white fleeces, and so we start with an assortment of browns and grays.

Hampton Fiber Mill sent this photo along with the email.

Pictured from top to bottom is yarn from:

Poa

Xavier

Mocha

Clover

Otto

Mac

Wynona



What surprised me the most was how dark Xavier's fleece turned out. I also wasn't expecting Wynona's to be as dark. Otto has such a rich red color that it was easy to identify that skein's origin.

Now I have 14 more fleeces to skirt and send off. I'm anxious to see what kind of yarn Buckwheat, Crystal, Kira, and Maggie produce. When those 14 are clean I'll be able to pick up the 16 lbs of yarn that are waiting in Richmond. I guess I'll have to get out to the barn and start skirting!

No comments:

Post a Comment