Friday, March 31, 2017

A ram and a ewe, and a ewe and a ram...

This is the first year I've predicted due dates without witnessing actual breeding. Claire was spot on last week, and Ella was just two hours past her 147 days. Wednesday even she began nesting after being moved to a lambing pen. After several evening trips to the barn and a 2 am barn check without lambs, there was finally one ram lamb by 5:15. After getting ready for an early morning appointment, Ella had lambed a ewe by 6:30. I swear they progress faster when I'm not watching their every move!

Black ram lamb: 7.5 lbs
Grey ewe lamb: 7.1 lbs

The ewe is already coming for scratches and the ram is very mellow. Both have a more open fleece, much like Ella did as a lamb, but I anticipate it will get nicer with age.
Yesterday Myra started to isolate herself and become star-gazed. She was due on the 31st (confirmed breeding), but she didn't really seem to have much of an udder; it was present, just not large. She also appeared to have dropped some, but I wasn't expecting lambs overnight.

As I walked up the driveway around 8 this morning, I noticed a white lamb dashing around the paddock. What?!? There are NOT supposed to be lambs in the paddock! As I approached the paddock there they were: two white lambs cuddled next to the barn near Myra. She was much narrower and they were clearly hers. They were all dried off and had clearly eaten. A white ram lamb (7.5 lbs) and a white ewe (6.8 lbs). Both have very nice crimpy fleece from head to tail!



No comments:

Post a Comment