Saturday, March 19, 2011

Don't Get Your Hopes Up

Things here at the farm have quieted. Since Crystal's tease on Thursday nothing has changed with any of the ewes. Even Crystal seems as calm as she was last week. Perhaps the ewes have decided they will hold on to their lambs until better weather arrives. Snow flurries and single-digit forecasts are not ideal lambing conditions, so I suppose I should be relieved that the lambs are staying snuggled inside the ewes.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they haven't lambed yet. Based on my predictions regarding Hops' freshening (when our goat had kids), I'd say the sheep probably still have at least a week to go. A full 10 days before Hops freshened I was convinced the kids were in position and she was in labor. We even slept in the barn that night, not wanting to miss the event, only to wake up to a normal Hops.

So maybe it will be 10 days before lambs arrive, maybe it will be sooner. I guess I'll just have to keep coming to the barn and settle with being surprised.

1 comment:

  1. I saw you had a new post and got so excited... and then read it. :) Oh well... happy weekend anyway!

    ReplyDelete