Thursday, March 24, 2011

George Returns...

What a surprise it was this morning to find Clover hiding in between our two stalls with a lamb! At first I thought she had stolen one from Crystal or Mocha, but neither one seemed interested in the lamb. When I turned on the light I could see it looked just like Clover, a katmoget. Clover was cooing at it and looking ever so nervously and trying to conceal it. I finally got a chance to pick it up and check its sex - a ram.

I ran down the yard and into the house shouting "Lambies!" Gus was quite excited and began jumping in circles around me.

We grabbed the supplies and hurried back out to the barn. Within 15 minutes Clover and the lamb were moved and the umbilical cord snipped and disinfected. I was finally able to take some photos before heading off to work!






Last year Clover also had a katmoget ram lamb, which we foolishly named George. We had considered keeping him but decided to put him in the freezer due to his aggressive nature. We joked this morning that perhaps he decided to return. Maybe this year he'll be here to stay.

Update: After looking at pictures of last year's lamb this one is HUGE! I weighed him tonight (36 hours post birth) and he was 8.6 lbs! Last year's ram lamb from Clover was just under 5 lbs.

1 comment: